Friday, November 13, 2009

Only black people know how to do black hair?

Do black people only know how to black hair? like african american hair?



I have the "african-american" hair and im 13, and im confused.



When you're a cosmetoligist or a hair stylist and you go to college for many years to learn about hair don't they teach you about "white people's 'straight' " hair AND our type of hair?



Or don't they? If I go to a salon were everyone there is white will they only know how to that type of hair?



Because i hear women say all the time "I need to go to a black salon" As though a white person wouldn't know how to properly do their hair?



Please someone tell me. its so confusing



Only black people know how to do black hair?

Well...hmmmmm....



when you go to cosmetology school, you attend for a year. Not many years. Cosmo schools only teach you the very basics and it definitely depends on who they have to teach what. All schools must cover cuts, colors, perms, relaxers etc but they do not spend a lot of time on everything. It's up to you to learn how to learn beyond the basics. That means attending hairshows and courses beyond cosmo school.



At school you learn about different types of hair from white peoples to blacks. My old school didn't cover asian hair, which sucks because we're paying to learn how to do everyone's hair, not just certain people. :-\ You do get different clients that come into your cosmo school's salon to get worked on so at least that's some sort of experience under your belt.



Some women say they need to go to a black salon because yeah, they think that a white person wouldn't know how to do their hair. I use to think that too when I was younger until I actually went into a salon in Alaska and had a white lady do my hair and she did an excellent job. She also suggested shampoos/conditioners for me to use on my hair....I still use them up to this day. :-)



It just depends on who you're comfortable with when it comes to doing your hair. I don't know. All stylists should know how to do just about everyone's hair...that's what I think.



Only black people know how to do black hair?

i though about this myself but not it's the other way some with people don't know how to do black hair,i went to best cuts to get some hair salon products and i saw the black girl doing this white guys hair i was really shocked but it was cool to see

No comments:

Post a Comment