Friday, November 13, 2009

Is My Hair Healthy?

Ok, I'm African American and I have African American hair if you know what I mean. Anyways I get it relaxed/straightened about every 6 weeks like I'm suppsed to. Anyways, my hair goes down to the middle of my neck I guess you could say but I really want it to be longer. Like shoulder length or something. I get so sad seeing pretty much all my friends get haircuts and then their hair grows back 2 weeks later. It's like my hair hates me and doesn't grow! I put scalp oil on it about 3 times a week and when I massage it in then comb it lots of hair comes out. I'm kind of scared and I'm wondering what I can do to make my hair healthy and grow faster. I was also thinking of getting highlights or someting like that but I think my hair is too weak for that. Oh yeah and I think my scalp is really dry and I have a bit of a dandruff problem.



Is My Hair Healthy?

you arent supposed to get it every 6 weeks. the less you get relaxers the better. my friend's mom is a hair stylist and she has been relaxing her hair every 6 weeks for years and now her hair is so thin and brittle.



everyones hair grows at its own pace, so you really cant speed it up. it grows an average of half and inch per month.



you can make it healthier by:



maintaining a healthy diet



drinking plenty of water



avoiding excessive heat use



keeping the hair clean



making sure your scalp and hair are moisturized



avoiding excessive chemical use (relaxer, dye, etc)



taking multivitamins or vitamin e



getting the dead ends trimmed every 2-3 months



when you elliminate your dead ends, your hair will grow better and healthier b/c the hair wont break off as much. when you have dead ends, they get snagged and break off when you brush your hair.



maybe you should take a break from getting so many relaxers. i get mine every 2-3 months.



if you do get highlights, you have to wait at least 2 weeks from the time of your last relaxer b/c that is a chemical overload. and you must make sure to keep your hair very moisturized b/c chemicals dry it out!



and yes, a healthy scalp is the basis for a healthy head of hair. to alleviate the dryness, try greasing your scalp a couple of times a week.



and instead of putting heat to your hair every single day, try getting a roller set so that you wont have to do your hair as often. which will give it a break and allow it to breathe.



ask your stylist what you should do to maintain healthy hair.



these are the products i use that i find to work well:



lusters pink oil moisturizer



olive oil



coconut oil



super gro grease with vit e



silkworks professional heat serum



africa's best ultimate herbal oil



proclaim spray on glosser



you can ask your stylist for other recommendations, but you can get all of the above from walmart or any beauty supply store.



this is how my hair looks and i follow all my own advice:



http://wssu.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3...



http://wssu.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3...



good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment